10 benefits of exercising more mindfully
Jan 13, 2021
Doing things slowly and mindfully does not come naturally to me. And it took me a long time to buy into the idea that doing so would benefit my health & fitness.
If I'm honest it actually took an injury (or should I say multiple injuries...) to be forced to slow down and to realize that everything I had been chasing after by doing high intensity training (a leaner figure, a stronger core & a calmer mind) came naturally when I changed my approach to fitness.
Adopting a more mindful approach to fitness has benefited me in so many ways:
- I’m considerably leaner because I’m no longer stressing the crap out of my body with high intensity training (elevated stress hormones are linked to elevated fat storage, especially around the abdomen)
- I’ve learnt to listen to my body and to work with it, not against it. This makes exercise more enjoyable so I have no trouble being consistent with it.
- I’m no longer constantly thinking about food or feeling hangry. I eat when I’m hungry and I stop when I’m full. When I was training like crazy I was constantly hungry and it felt like I could never satisfy my hunger because the training was making me feel so depleted (again stress tricks our bodies into believing that there's a famine and elevates our hunger hormones).
- I’m less likely to get injured because I focus on quality of movement over quantity and I am therefore more mindful of how I move.
- My belly is flatter because slowing down has taught me to strengthen my abs properly and my digestion has improved as well (most bloating and digestive disorders, including IBS, are heavily linked to stress)
- My mind is calmer. I can think more rationally and get less carried away by my emotions (it’s still a work in progress!)
- I’m less likely to eat emotionally because I’m no longer as impulsive. Exercising mindfully helps me feel grounded.
- Slowing down on my mat has taught me to slow down in real life & to be more present. How you do one thing is how you do everything...
- I exercise out of love and care for myself, not out of hate as I used to, so my thoughts towards myself (and others) are kinder & more compassionate.
- My posture has improved dramatically, my back pain has gone and so has the pain in my knees from years of running.
If like me you are highly resistant to the idea of slowing down and taking a more mindful approach to your fitness, it's probably exactly what you need to transform...
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
It’s time to pivot, to take a step back to make a leap forward and to trust that this is exactly what you need at this time.
Sign up to the FREE 10 day challenge. You’ll get daily new workouts, a 7 day detox meal plan and a guided meditation to get you into your BEST shape so you can live your BEST life.
I know doing things differently can be scary. It certainly was for me. But it was the best thing I could ever have done for my health & fitness.
I’m here to support you!